|ASK QUESTIONS TO DEFINE YOUR TOPIC||Or A 'concept map' may be helpful:|
Who? What? Where? When?
Why? How? So What?
What is the definition?
What other words could be used to research this topic?
What are some causes ?
What are some results or consequences ?
What larger social or political issues are related to this topic?
1. Brainstorm keywords, related terms and synonyms. Examples...
2. Use AND to focus your search on a smaller result set. Examples...
3. Use OR to link synonyms and gain a larger result set. Examples...
4. Put quotations around your terms for exact searches
Example: "video games"
The keywords you come up with represent the concepts and themes you're exploring. You can incorporate keywords into a question, and as you explore your topic in more depth you can turn that question into a hypothesis. For example:
1. Keywords: teens, violence, prevention
2. Question: How can violence between teenagers be prevented?
3. Hypothesis: Violence between teenagers can be prevented using anger management programs in schools.